[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] london tube stations

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Sat Mar 17 02:00:23 GMT 2007

David Earl wrote:

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: talk-bounces at openstreetmap.org
>> [mailto:talk-bounces at openstreetmap.org]On Behalf Of Andy Allan
>> Sent: 16 March 2007 15:28
>> To: Robert (Jamie) Munro
>> Cc: Dave; Talk Openstreetmap
>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] london tube stations
>>

>> On 3/16/07, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:
>>> name=Wimbledon
>>> amenity=rail_station
>>> railway=rail;subway;tramway
>>> railway_network=London Underground;British Rail;London Tramlink
>>> railway_line=District Line;South West Trains
>> Completely off topic, but can we not come up with a better way to deal
>> with multiple values than just semi-colon deliniation? XML is pretty
>> flexible; we could be using nested elements instead of all these k=v
>> attributes (which precludes multiple k's for a given node/way and
>> leads to the semicolon bodge). Or is this in the territory of "put up
>> or shut up"?

Currently, multiple tags with the same key are not supported. This is a
topic for the dev list - I just moved this discussion from the dev list
to here because the discussion was appropriate to here.

> Allow multiple tags with the same key? XML is quite happy with this, and
> though there may be specific reasons why the database couldn't store it,
> there's nothing in MySQL tables in general that wouldn't allow it.

How do you do updates? You'd need another key, or you'd have to delete
and reinsert them all each time - you couldn't do:

update table tags set value='x' where nodeid='y' and key='railway';
(admittedly, that may not be a problem in practise).

At the moment, semi-colon separated lists are what is used.

If you wish to respond to the above, use the dev list.

Back on topic:

Can someone please explain why having a key called railway that can mean
the type of railway if its a way (Tram, Subway, standard gauge, narrow
gauge, historic etc.), but type of asset within a railway when it's a
node (station, sheds, signal box etc.) is a good idea.

What if I want to say that this is a subway station (the topic of this
thread), or a narrow gauge signal box or whatever.

Robert (Jamie) Munro