[OSM-dev] Yahoo Imagery Plugin - MacOS problems

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:32:04 GMT 2007

Hi,

I should first admit to being a YOSM newbie, but I've come what feels
like most of the way to getting the Yahoo Imagery plugin going. Maybe
someone can fill in the gaps for me.

I'm on MacOS 10.4. YOSM is installed and (apparently) working fine.
I'll describe my plugin installing experience in order, in case it's
relevant:

1. Place ywms jar file in plugins directory, restart YOSM, check that
plugin is visible. It is, so I enabled it and restarted again.

2. Now the Plugin has its own property page in the YOSM settings.
Great. It wants Firefox, though, which I don't have (only Camino,
which may not work). Download and install Firefox just in case.

3. Spend ages trying to work out how to address the real executable
for firefox (since MacOS "executable" files are actually directories
containg executables plus much supporting material. Eventually settle
on /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox, which allows me
to create a profile, launches a firefox window and walks me through
the settings changes needed. I did allow the proposed change, but
perhaps it didn't work fully, it may be worth checking by hand (if so,
where do I look?).

4. Realise that I need the wmsplugin as well. Download it, place it in
the plugins directory, enable it and then go to its properties page.
This allows me to create a new entry with URL
http://localhost:8000/ymap?request=GetMap. Looking good.

5. Test it. Load a map in YOSM, pick Yahoo as a source in the WMS menu
and wait. After a while, I get an error message back (server returned
500). However, I now have a Firefox window with the correct yahoo
image waiting in it.

It looks like I wasn't far away from success. Can anyone suggest what
may have gone wrong here?

Dermot