[OSM-dev] Yahoo Imagery Plugin - MacOS problems

Francisco R. Santos frsantos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:53:38 GMT 2007

On 3/18/07, Dermot McNally <dermotm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> I should first admit to being a YOSM newbie, but I've come what feels
> like most of the way to getting the Yahoo Imagery plugin going. Maybe
> someone can fill in the gaps for me.
>
> I'm on MacOS 10.4. YOSM is installed and (apparently) working fine.
> I'll describe my plugin installing experience in order, in case it's
> relevant:
>
> 1. Place ywms jar file in plugins directory, restart YOSM, check that
> plugin is visible. It is, so I enabled it and restarted again.
>
> 2. Now the Plugin has its own property page in the YOSM settings.
> Great. It wants Firefox, though, which I don't have (only Camino,
> which may not work). Download and install Firefox just in case.

Camino is based on the Gecko engine, so I think it should work too if
it is based on a modern gecko engine. Any browser based on a modern
Gecko engine should work. *However*, continue reading.

> 3. Spend ages trying to work out how to address the real executable
> for firefox (since MacOS "executable" files are actually directories
> containg executables plus much supporting material. Eventually settle
> on /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox, which allows me
> to create a profile, launches a firefox window and walks me through
> the settings changes needed. I did allow the proposed change, but
> perhaps it didn't work fully, it may be worth checking by hand (if so,
> where do I look?).

After applying the changes, a new text appears saying if it went ok or
not. Anyway, you can look at the page "about:config" and look for the
properties browser.dom.window.dump.enabled (should be the *boolean*
true) and browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash (should be the
*boolean* false). I say *boolean* because these values as strings
instead as booleans won't work.

> 4. Realise that I need the wmsplugin as well.

Yeah, the YWMS plugin is just a server for the wmsplugin

> Download it, place it in
> the plugins directory, enable it and then go to its properties page.
> This allows me to create a new entry with URL
> http://localhost:8000/ymap?request=GetMap. Looking good.

If you installed the wmsplugin *before* configuring YWMS, the URL is
added automagically,

> 5. Test it. Load a map in YOSM, pick Yahoo as a source in the WMS menu
> and wait. After a while, I get an error message back (server returned
> 500). However, I now have a Firefox window with the correct yahoo
> image waiting in it.

Please, start JOSM from console (java -jar josm-latest.jar) and look
at the output. It should say what failed.

> It looks like I wasn't far away from success. Can anyone suggest what
> may have gone wrong here?

**HOWEVER**: I have reports from two people saying that  the Firefox
feature I use for dumpling  the loaded page as an image is bugged and
is not working in Max OS. It may be useful to test if Camino does it
fine.

Start Camino with the environment variable
MOZ_FORCE_PAINT_AFTER_ONLOAD=/tmp/test and load any page,
www.google.com,for example. Then open the generated files /tmp/test-*.
Firefox in MacOS makes nearly black ppm images. Actually, it makes
dark red images with only one color channel. If Camino does it right,
bingo!

> Dermot

Regards,
Quico