[OSM-dev] [OT] Cron

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Tue Mar 20 21:08:29 GMT 2007

Rather off topic, but I need to sort this out so that I can provide a weekly
planet.osm for the UK without manual intervention :-)

I'm having problems with my crontab on the dev server. I've checked the
permissions on the script I want to run but it still won't run it. My crontab
is as follows:

# m h  dom mon dow   command
0 12 * * 3 /home/nick/bin/mkukplanet.sh
1 23 * * * /home/nick/bin/cp.sh

The first job makes the UK planet.osm. The second is a simple script which
just copies a file from /var/www to my home directory, scheduled to go off at
23:01 every night. That does not work.

Any idea what might be the problem here? There is no cron.allow and cron.deny
on the system. Cron seems to be running:

nick at dev:~$ ps -ef | grep cron
root      2634     1  0 Feb26 ?        00:00:04 /usr/sbin/cron
nick     21172 21092  0 21:02 pts/0    00:00:00 grep cron

Steve- if this is an untraceable problem, could you add the mkukplanet.sh job
to /etc/crontab under my username?

Thanks,
Nick