[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import is complete?

Thomas Lunde tlunde at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:09:05 GMT 2007

Hello -

The TIGER page [1] indicates that the initial effort was removed from
the database because of data corruption.

Other postings seem to indicate that a new TIGER import will overwrite
existing US data.[2]

The last message on the mailing lists I can find about the TIGER
import is from Jan 16, 2007 and indicates that the import is on an
indefinite hold.[3]

The status page[4] seems to confirm this, as it shows the last header as:
TIGER -> OSM Import Status
(as of Thu Nov 30 14:47:41 +0000 2006)

Is there anything a US-oriented would-be OSM participant can do to
help with the import?  Is the project stalled by a lack of CPU, disk,
person-hours for coding, or something else?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide to ways that I can help.

Thomas

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tiger

[2]  Sorry, I can't find this again... I think it was on the Talk list.

[3]  http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-January/010246.html

[4] http://svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/tiger_import/status