[OSM-dev] Osmarender map beautifier question

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 21 13:52:46 GMT 2007

Hi,

> Yes, these were removed because they couldn't be made to fit. This
> probably means a very short way, or text that doesn't contain any
> of the
> standard abbreviatable terms. These are:

Most common in German would be the abbreviations for "street",
"place", and "way":

Goethestrasse -> Goethestr.
Goethestraße -> Goethestr.
Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Strasse -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Str.
(not that it would make a lot of difference... cartographers would
often abbreviate first names in such cases)
Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Straße -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Str.

Goetheplatz -> Goethepl.
Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Platz -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Pl.

Goetheweg -> Goethew.
Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Weg -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-W.

Note (a) there's never a space before Platz and Strasse, and (b)
there IS a full stop at the end.

I also noted that it seems to be allowable for cartographers to drop
the suffix "strasse", "weg" etc. altogether if space limits require
it, and the full name has been used somewhere else along the way, but
that's probably hard to do for us.

Bye
Frederik