[OSM-dev] Osmarender map beautifier question

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Wed Mar 21 14:08:51 GMT 2007

> Goethestrasse -> Goethestr.
> Goethestraße -> Goethestr.
> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Strasse -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Str.
> (not that it would make a lot of difference... cartographers would
> often abbreviate first names in such cases)
> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Straße -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Str.
>
> Goetheplatz -> Goethepl.
> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Platz -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Pl.
>
> Goetheweg -> Goethew.
> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-Weg -> Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe-W.

Fantastic. When I was testing the script I came up with a fictitious "Great Boulevard of Saint Paul, North"

> Note (a) there's never a space before Platz and Strasse, and (b)
> there IS a full stop at the end.

That isn't a problem. The current abbreviations doesn't require a space (but does require a capital letter) but these are regular expressions, so anything is possible.

> I also noted that it seems to be allowable for cartographers to drop
> the suffix "strasse", "weg" etc. altogether if space limits require
> it, and the full name has been used somewhere else along the way, but
> that's probably hard to do for us.

I have been considering a strategy for removing duplicate place names within a certain radius, e.g. to prevent dual carriageways and junctions getting overly cluttered. Again anything's possible, but I'd like to get something simple working and reliable first.

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com