[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import is complete?

Thomas Lunde tlunde at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:06:29 GMT 2007

On 3/22/07, Don Smith <dcsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas,
> do you have a machine setup? I'll look at the code tonight, but you
> seem to have a better grasp of the operations going on. Any ideas in
> what specifically needs to be done?
>
> Right now, the two tasks appear to be aggregation of related segments
> into ways (?) and the 1 sec insert cycle. I would suggest instead, if
> possible that we load the data into mysql, and then when it's ready,
> batch import the sql into the master db(does this make sense? Instead
> of running the script twice, run it once, dump the db, and then
> import the dump?).

Don -

I do have a server that could be used, but it sounds like Nathan has a
better one.  He is/has downloading/downloaded the latest TIGER data.
Both of us need to have a better understanding of the OSM current data
model than at present.  Pointers at particular documentation would be
helpful, otherwise I'll just look around the site and the code.

What I think I understand is that the 1 sec insert cycle of the old
Ruby code would still take weeks/months to do an import.  Is that
right?

If so, it seems that there's got to be a better way. I agree with you
that using seperate servers to do a higher speed import and then to
dump the data from DB to DB directly would seem to be the smarter
approach.

Are you already familiar with the OSM data model and/or with the old
Ruby import code?

thomas

Nathan,Don -- if y'all are subscribed to the Dev list, let me know and
I shan't cc: you directly.