[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import is complete?

Nathan Rover NRover at websitemakers.com
Fri Mar 23 05:29:37 GMT 2007

I'm thinking we need to set up a server with a mirror of the current
database, then just run a few counties then eventually a large batch
(one state at a time?). Then we can conduct some rigorous testing and if
the data looks good and we won't cause too much of problem on the
production server, we could then ship the data across the pond (ether
over the net or fedex some DVDs). Then one night perhaps an admin could
import the data. I've never been a big fan of messing with production
servers, and it seems to costly both in time and bandwidth to try and
run exports from TIGER data on a box in central Missouri, to the UK, at
one or three second intervals. especially when this will requirer lots
of testing to make it work correctly.

I have the hardware for the mirror, and I'm working on getting the TIGER
data. If this is a direction everyone agrees with then the next thing I
need is a little guidance on how to set up a server that will be a good
software mirror to the production one. The closer the software setup
matches the production machine (especially the database system and the
APIs ) the better our testing can be and the less likely there will be a
problem down the road when we try and integrate the data onto one box.

Can someone send me a copy of the ruby code?

Nathan Rover