[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import iscomplete?

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 11:55:39 GMT 2007

It's great you guys are running with this.

I can't answer your questions on the db to db issues, that needs to be
addressed to SteveC and Nick Hill.

Just to reiterate the issues as we saw with the data last time around:

1. Nodes were not being reused (noting that the end of each TIGER segment
may not have exactly the same Lat/Lon as the adjacent segment end)
2. Each segment was a way rather than the logical street being a way.
3. Only the street name and its start and end ZIP codes were imported as
tags. There might be other data that would be useful to import. There was no
community discussion on what might be useful last time around.
4. There was no acknowledgment of existing data last time around, mainly
because there essentially was no existing data in the db for the USA. That
is not the situation today so some way of recognising and accommodating
existing data and user needs should be incorporated this time, even if it's
a manual process for affected counties.
5. The 1 sec insertion cycle via the API of the original import did have to
be downgraded to 3 sec at times to reduce performance impact on the server.
Clearly a non API insertion route would be beneficial, however that might
not be a practical option, again something for proper discussion with SteveC
and Nick Hill.

I'll keep monitoring this stuff, to take load off SteveC etc and answer
questions when I can, so if you are not posting to dev please cc me.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk