[OSM-dev] Effort in the US wasted until TIGER import is complete?

Don Smith dcsmith at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:35:24 BST 2007

Is there a test machine setup?
I'm still looking at the code. For simplicity's sake, I'd like to
remove the ability to daemonize the code, and just run it from the
command line as a regular process, with a high priority. If the idea
is to do this on a testing db instead of the main db, and then import
a dump of the db then I believe this makes sense. Another thing,
someone was talking about setting up a copy of osm to import into.
Instead I'd like to suggest that this data is just loaded into a
blank template until everything works, then worry about merging the
us data, either through using something like a temp tag to
differentiate it and merging manually, or by doing something
programatic after the fact. Whatever the user contributions are I
would assume they're much smaller, although probably more accurate
than tiger data.

Don Smith