[OSM-dev] JOSM patch to request T at H renders

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:47:49 GMT 2007

> If rendering is to happen automatically, it should be triggered at
> the server, not at the client. We are trying this with the RSS feed
> now, but as pointed out elsewhere, this has its flaws.

Agreed 100%, but...

> I can well understand that hacking the client is an appealing option
> because you can see instant results without having to wait for others
> to help out. But really, if someone is willing to spend time on this,
> then please do it on the server.

Yes, long term it should be done in the server. We're really just
pushing at the place where there's most likely to be movement.
Changing the server has been suggested many times, but the people who
are able havn't done it.

However, that doen't really solve the problem though. There's no need
to rerender on every upload, sometimes I just want to save my work and
continue, because JOSM had a bug. The interaction with the applet will
be terrible, because it'll request the same tile over and over for
every tiny change.

We have a system to rerender tiles that changed in the last week, so
everything does get picked up eventually. Many times I don't care to
see the result anyway, it's such a minor change. It'd be much better
for the user to say "I really want to see this now".

> Another option would be improving the RSS mechanism so that it works
> for 95% of all updates rather than (guessed) 25%.

It'll never be perfect due to the polling issue. Also it will never
pick up changed tags, segments or ways...

Have a nice day,