[OSM-dev] OSM tools RPMs for Fedora Core 6

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:43:53 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 18:12 +0000, Keith Sharp wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 17:53 +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:
> > Does building mapnik really require scons? I managed to build the
> > package using the attached spec file using the copy of scons bundled
> > with mapnik. I replaced the scons dependency with one on python >=
> > 1.5.2
> > which is mentioned in mapnik/scons/scons-README.
>
> I'm of the same opinion as Dominic - programs should use system versions
> of tools where possible rather than bundling their own private copies.
>
> When I first started playing with Mapnik I was building using python
> direct rather than scons, so I see no reason for your modification not
> to work.
>
> I was considering submitting some of these RPMs to Fedora Extras, and I
> suspect that the review process would reject the use of the private
> scons code over the system version.
>
> Keith.

It looks like the existing fedora-extras scon'd packages follow your
method. This seems a little odd to me though since i'd have thought that
they would try to be self contained (as per autotools scripts). I
undersand Dominics reasoning though. It dos add unnecessary bloat to the
source packages.

  extras-devel/kdissert/kdissert.spec:BuildRequires:  kdelibs-devel, scons, desktop-file-utils
  extras-devel/kdissert/kdissert.spec:scons %{?_smp_mflags}

  extras-devel/blender/blender.spec:BuildRequires:  scons
  extras-devel/blender/blender.spec:scons

	Jon