[OSM-dev] OSM tools RPMs for Fedora Core 6

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 18:12:58 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 17:53 +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:
> Does building mapnik really require scons? I managed to build the
> package using the attached spec file using the copy of scons bundled
> with mapnik. I replaced the scons dependency with one on python >=
> 1.5.2
> which is mentioned in mapnik/scons/scons-README.

I'm of the same opinion as Dominic - programs should use system versions
of tools where possible rather than bundling their own private copies.

When I first started playing with Mapnik I was building using python
direct rather than scons, so I see no reason for your modification not
to work.

I was considering submitting some of these RPMs to Fedora Extras, and I
suspect that the review process would reject the use of the private
scons code over the system version.

Keith.