[OSM-dev] Writing an OSM map application

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 19:52:29 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 20:26 +0100, Andreas Volz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I like to write an application that uses the map data from OSM. I
> looked how other applications solved this. They import the world.osm
> into a SQL database an read all map information from there. So please
> try to answer these OSM beginner questions:
>
> - Is there a proposed SQL database format for OSM based maps? This would
> be usefull to share end user generated map data between various systems.

I use PostGIS on top of PostgreQL.  The table format is defined by the
import tool, see below.

> - Is there an application which converts the world.osm into a SQL
> database?

If you use PostGIS then you want osm2pgsql:

	http://svn.openstreetmap.org/utils/osm2pgsql/

or as an RPM from:

	http://www.passback.org.uk/maps/rpms/

In subversion there are other tools for processing OSM files, have a
look around.

> - Are there any libraries (C/C++) which give me a higher level of
> abstraction on the map data then operating with SQL queries?

There is a large quantity of GIS software available.  Have a look at the
FreeGIS website:

	http://www.freegis.org/

> - Is there a library (or algorithm) which converts a GPS position into
> a 2D viewport position to display it in an application?

I've got round to doing this yet, but I've been looking at TileCache:

	http://www.tilecache.org/

to serve the map images I create, and OpenLayers:

	http://openlayers.org/

to provide the slippy map experience for the end user.

Keith.