[OSM-dev] Tiles at home and the job queue

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Mar 24 19:39:04 GMT 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Two possibilities: Either the RSS automatism has in fact picked
> up your change and some t at h client has taken the request but not
> yet responded; or your change has not been picked up and there
> never was a request in the queue. The link above should shed
> light on this!

Is there any attempt to debug the RSS feed?  Do we know how often
it misses edits?

> We'll be doing that over the next few weeks.

Great to hear that.  I hope I can help.

> > suitable timeout could be 10 minutes.
>
> Not so; a complex tile like x=2143,y=1406 can require over half
> an hour, even on decent hardware.

OK, so maybe set it at 3 hours.  But is there any timeout at all
today?  I think many people can install tilesGen.pl and try it
out, without ever requesting a password for uploading.  It is a
pity if this blocks anybody else from rendering the same tile.

Ever since I got involved in OSM, tile rendering has been a great
problem.  Now with Tiles at home we have a method where more people
can help, and this is great.  I think we need to look at the whole
chain of events from editing the map, to seeing the new tiles: How
often does the chain fail (e.g. RSS misses the edit) and when it
does succeed, how long does it take?  If we can measure these
parameters, we can start to make improvements.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)