[OSM-dev] Tiles at home and the job queue

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 24 18:42:13 GMT 2007

Hi,

> When I run tilesGen.pl without arguments, it says the server has
> nothing for me to render.  I know that I have edited the map at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=57.19&lon=14.04&zoom=12

There is a queue with rendering requests. You can view the queue at

http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Log/Requests/

if theres nothing under "Requested", then tilesGen will say "the server
has nothing for you to render".

> And my edits are not yet visible in the current tile at
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Tiles/tile.php/12/2207/1250.png

Two possibilities: Either the RSS automatism has in fact picked up your
change and some t at h client has taken the request but not yet responded;
or your change has not been picked up and there never was a request in
the queue. The link above should shed light on this!

> When I look at
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Tiles/tile.php/12/2207/1250.png_details
>
> it says "api_1.0|UNKNOWN|0|bytes|anonymous|0|1970-01-01T00:00:00".
>
> This seems to be very wrong, since the tile does exist.

That is a mismatch caused by the recent change in the t at h server;
before, the PNG tile data was in BLOB fields in the Mysql database, now
only metadata is in Mysql and the tile itself is in the file system.
Tiles copied from the old layout into the new, and tiles created for
some time after that, have no metadata and are flagged as "UNKNOWN".
This anomaly should be gone in a few weeks, so that every tile that
exists also has metadata.

 > Or else
> everything "UNKNOWN" should be in the queue to be re-rendered.

We'll be doing that over the next few weeks.

> When I query
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Log/Requests/test.php?x=2207&y=1250
> it says "OK|2207|1250|1|RENDERING".  But it doesn't say who or
> when this task begun.  Does it refer to my own activities?  If so,
> is there a timeout before it goes back to "NOT_REQUESTED"?
> Based on my own experience of how fast the rendering goes, a
> suitable timeout could be 10 minutes.

Not so; a complex tile like x=2143,y=1406 can require over half an hour,
even on decent hardware.

> Anyway, my "client" (Dublin)
> is newer than any such remark, so I should have no problem with
> the "UNKNOWN" value.  Except that I can't understand why this
> should be unknown.

As I said, the UNKNOWN is a relict of the recent move to the new
structure. Your client should not be affected by this at all, as the t at h
client does not currently request the tile metadata at all.

Bye
Frederik