[OSM-dev] T at h area coverage

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Mar 27 13:55:41 BST 2007

Large parts of Russia and Sweden are only drawn with line
segments, without ways, more than a year ago.  I went in and made
ways in Murmansk and the surrounding area, mostly based on guesses
of what is primary, secondary and residential ways.

(The guesses aren't that bad.  I know the main road between
Murmansk and St. Petersburg must be primary, unless it is
motorway.  Long roads that curve more often are secondary.  Short
branch roads that lead nowhere are residential, including the
inner city street network of Murmansk.)

Since this didn't cause any "node edits", it doesn't show up in
RSS.  Fortunately, I'm now a registered T at h helper, so I started a
simple loop for all X and Y tile coordinates (at zoom 12) in this
area, run tilesGen.pl xy $x $y, followed by upload.pl (and a short
sleep).  Is this the recommended method, or is there something
better?  It actually runs smooth and the result looks great (in
the Osmarender layer),
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=68.97&lon=33.10&zoom=12

When I edited the area in JOSM, I saved the area as a file
"murmansk.osm".  I guess I could dig through that file to find
node coordinates, convert them to tile coordinates, and only run
"tilesGen.pl xy $x $y" for the tiles that have nodes.  That would
save the server from the download and upload for empty tiles.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)