[OSM-dev] Daily Planet.osm

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Tue May 1 18:20:33 BST 2007

Hello Frederik

I completely agree that we need instant. 24 hours is not good enough.

If tiles are edited through the API, the changes should reflect in the slippy
map within minutes (or tens of minutes at busy times). This is not impossible.

I presented a tile invalidation scheme to the list several months ago. This was
widely accepted as a good solution.

Using an algorithm like the one I used to sort the database, API updates can
point to a 32 bit tile. The tile is marked dirty on a special table and a
timestamp set. A simple scheduling system works through tiles re-rendering those
which are dirty in sequence. Given the new API will have a session, the tile
table need only be updated when the session is being closed. Database and CPU
load for the scheme would be very small.

As an improvement to the above scheme, the tile database can be incremented when
the tile is viewed, and increase the priority for the busiest or actively viewed
tiles.

Such a tile invalidation scheme can easily form the basis of a real-time update
feed which does not impact the database.

This is achieved by copying the data used for each tile about to be re-rendered
to a file in a directory. The file represents the tile. Any request for the
current update returns a .tar.gz containing all the .osm tile files produced
since the last planet.

We'd therefore have availability of a perfectly up to date planet file (after
patching) at all times, and an up to date slippy map.

Steve is very kindly re-implementing the API on Rails, which should open the
door for more-widespread API hacking and a faster development loop for OSM. That
was really the raison d'etre of dev, but it hasn't led to the widespread API
hacking originally envisaged.