[OSM-dev] tiles at home disk usage

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed May 2 16:58:34 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> > I also think we should avoid the DB and just keep a flatfile on disk.
> > There's no way a database going to compete against an open/read 8
> > bytes/close.
>
> I agree that it is going to be faster. But the maintenance
> difficulties are scaring.

How so? The upload processor would update the tiles as appropriate.
The reason I made 00 be UNKNOWN is because I expected it to be a
sparse file: it would nominally be 4GB large, but in practice it
wouldn't actually take that much space initially.

It's going to be 8GB of data whichever way you look at it, inside the
DB or out. It just seems to me that 17 files it going to be easier...

Have a nice day,