[OSM-dev] Potlatch update

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 18:49:15 BST 2007

On 8 May 2007, at 13:21, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>
>>> But it wouldn't be difficult to modify amf_controller.rb so that you
>>> could also authenticate with user/pass. Let me know if you want this
>>> doing and I'm happy to make the change.
>>
>> Yes, that would be useful thanks.
>
> Ok, will work on that in the next day or two.
>
>> Presumably the "amf" API call takes a way as a set of lat/lon, and
>> if I wanted to add nodes, I could just implement a "Flash
>> server" (if you see what I mean) on the freemap server and then go
>> through the normal "node" API?
>
> All the gory details about the AMF messages are here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potlatch/Remote_calls
>
> It's not quite a simple ordered list of lats/lons, because it has to
> not break the existing OSM data structure. So node ids, segment ids,
> segment continuity etc. are also in there.
>
> Really, the only thing that's stopped me doing nodes so far is that I
> haven't been able to think of an obvious query to find which POI
> nodes are in a given bounding box. Potlatch-server interaction works
> like this:
>
> 1. Potlatch says 'whichways' (which ways are within a bounding box?)
> 2. The server says '234523,234524,216789' etc.
> 3. Potlatch says 'getway' for each of those ways which it doesn't
> already have
> 4. The server sends them back

Just getting ways explains why it is that segments that have been
created with no way don't show up.
Another problem that I have is when you try to extend a way or join 2
ways up. Examples include: continuing to map a way that was only
partly done previously; and adding an alley footpath between 2
residential streets.

These problems make it difficult for me to use potlatch, and I prefer
to use the applet for editing which requires the yahoo imagery, until
they are resolved.

Shaun
[..]