[OSM-dev] Potlatch update

Tue May 8 20:11:36 BST 2007

Shaun McDonald wrote:

> Just getting ways explains why it is that segments that have been
> created with no way don't show up.
> Another problem that I have is when you try to extend a way or join 2
> ways up. Examples include: continuing to map a way that was only
> partly done previously; and adding an alley footpath between 2
> residential streets.
>
> These problems make it difficult for me to use potlatch, and I prefer
> to use the applet for editing which requires the yahoo imagery, until
> they are resolved.

It's worth noting that Potlatch is not (and never will be!) intended
as a do-it-all application for every single thing you might want to
edit. It's a simple application especially suited for newbies. The
expectation is that advanced users will use JOSM as they always have
done.

By the same token, there will always be things that the applet can do
that Potlatch can't. I'd personally like to see both the applet and
Potlatch available online, with Potlatch as the default but with a
user preference to switch between them.

On extending a way/joining a way, can you explain a bit more what
problems you're having?

(In brief: to extend a way, just click the way to select, then click
the endpoint. This _won't_ work if it's a non-contiguous way, i.e.
with badly ordered or reversed segments. This is a known todo.

To draw a new alley from one street to another, select the first one:
shift-click a point on it: then click the end point on the other
line. Double-click or Return to stop drawing, as usual.)

cheers
Richard