[OSM-dev] Potlatch update

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 9 00:52:28 BST 2007

Hi,

> If some users use only Potlach, they will not see segments already there
> but not on a way. It could lead to duplicate work.
> Can we estimate the number of such segments ?

We can even count them. In the latest planet.osm (May 02), there are a
total of 10,868,132 segments, of which 1,556,941 (approx. 14%) are not
referenced by any way.

> My preference for this problem is to try to minimize the number of those
> orphan segments...

That would of course be very desirable. We would perhaps first have to
identify the main "trouble spots" - maybe a colour-coded map with red
indicating a very high density of such segments...

As a last resort, it would also be possible (and relatively easy) to
automatically create "pseudo ways" from strings of these segments,
tagging them appropriately of course. But this should really only be
done if there is serious concern that things will break otherwise.

Bye
Frederik