[OSM-dev] The server today

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed May 9 07:12:12 BST 2007

This night again, I got lots of work done. Munin's memory usage
graph for www.openstreetmap.org shows a steady up-ramp from
midnight GMT when I started (note that the graph is in BST, one
hour ahead of GMT),

http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/www.openstreetmap-memory.html

There was no moment where it suddenly got worse, and it still is
not really bad, just a steady slow going, and a slow "memory
leak".  There has been no restart, as far as I can tell.  I ended
my work (JOSM upload and coastline import) at 4:15 GMT.  You can
see the sudden drop in "active" memory usage.  At about the same
time, total memory usage reached the 2 GB of physical RAM.

Strange enough, the system responds just as fine (and a bit slow)
now as when I started 6 hours ago. During upload I have seen 1 or
2 requests per second. However, I recommend a restart ASAP, since
the memory usage graph is now up in the swap region (above 2 GB).

I think that a server restart (/etc/init.d/httpd restart) every 30
minutes would help us through the next days, while the memory leak
is being hunted down.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)