[OSM-dev] Eating all available ram on www

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 08:24:24 BST 2007

This was spotted yesterday morning:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/434

This is an attempt to ease the problem by exiting the map process after 500
requests:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset?new=sites%2Frails_port%402837&old=sites%2Frails_port%402835

So this seems similar to what we had before.  Rails can be run on Apache,
but its generally far slower than running on lighttpd.

NIck

> Hi,
>
> > We had a similar issue with the previous API which was covered over by
> setting
> > apache to restart the process every 25 requests.
>
> Is rails dependent on the "lighttpd" or whatever has replaced apache
> now? Otherwise I'd suggest to try and replace lighttpd by Apache and
> employ the same mechanism that helped before.
>
> It might be slightly inefficient but what's a little inefficiency if you
> can have robustness...
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --