[OSM-dev] Unwayed segments

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:01:16 BST 2007

On 9 May 2007, at 16:59, David Earl wrote:

>> Also they would show up in the search at
>> <http://www.frankieandshadow.com/osm/?find=fixme>
>> which should show all the streets that need name.
>
> Unfortunately, not. To avoid getting loads of duplicate hits (think
> about
> how branching ways, bridges etc are labelled: multiple, often
> contiguous,
> ways are usually labelled identically), I cull duplicates in the index
> within a tunable distance. So if you ask for "FIXME, Cambridge"
> you'll get
> hits, but only a few of those actually present. The distance
> condition means
> that long roads won't get just one point of reference, so if you
> ask for
> "M11, Cambridge" you'll get a good result, and if you ask for "M11,
> Bishops
> Stortford" (same road, 30km away), you'll get a hit in that area,
> but you
> won't get hits for every littleseparate piece of the M11.
> Unfortunately
> that's _is_ what you would want for FIXME.
>
> So it'll tell you if there _are_ any FIXMEs near some place, just
> not all of
> them.

I'm sure that is better than not being able to find any in a
particular area.

How often will the index be updated? As often as the planet.osm file?
I'm wondering when things are going to start re-rendering since the
rails port update, so that I can see my changes.

One thing that has shown up when trying out some of the searching
with this tool is the use of the is_in tag. Basically the is_in tag
isn't used anywhere near like enough.

Shaun