[OSM-dev] Potlatch update

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:48:14 BST 2007

On 5/9/07, Shaun McDonald <shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > While mapping I sometimes realise after the fact that I left out a
> > street. I know approximatly where it is, but I have no name. I
> > generally put a segment without a way there as a clear marker: someone
> > fix this.
>
> Would it be better to put the type of way in, and then have a FIXME tag?
>
> That way people can see what roads are there even, if they don't know
> the road name. If they know the road name it is then a fairly simple
> task of adding the road name, as you are just adding the name
> property and removing the FIXME tag. Whereas if you are not putting
> in the way, it is a case of adding the way, and setting all the
> properties on it. This is a far more difficult task for a newbie to do.

But in this case I'm talking about roads where I don't even know
exactly where they are. I don't know the type because I didn't go
through them. If it's just the name, then FIXME is good. But what I
want is: this data is totally wrong, please go there and figure out
what should be here.

I'm afraid FIXME will give users the impression that the way actually
exists at the places it appears. That's what I want to avoid. Though
the proposed tag does cover that usage I guess.

Perhaps a tag: wrong=true.

Have a nice day,