[OSM-dev] Osmarender: Produce SVG maps for mobile phones (SVG TINY/BASIC)

George Sgouros sgouros at anro.gr
Thu May 10 06:56:57 BST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frederik Ramm" <frederik at remote.org>
To: "George Sgouros" <sgouros at anro.gr>
Cc: "80n" <80n80n at gmail.com>; <dev at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Osmarender: Produce SVG maps for mobile phones (SVG
TINY/BASIC)

>George,

>> I don't think it is such a good idea to steer Osmarender away from SVG
>> features that are not supported by SVG mobile. This could
>> signigificantly reduce the features offered by the full SVG  created  by
>> Osmarenderer since SVG tiny lacks a lot of SVG Full features.

>But on 29th January, on this list, you wrote:

> Using Illustrator, I converted one of the OSM maps from SVG to SVG  Tiny .
> The resulting map was identical as far as I can figure. The only  thing
> which
> differs from the full blown SVG map is that the navigation keys on  the
> left
> are not working. This happens because according to the  specification the
> SVG
> Tiny platform does not support events (which is not such a major
> restriction, since this map will be used on mobile phones anyway).
> So, I belive that SVG Tiny is powerful enough to visualise OSM maps
> without
> any problems.

>At that time it sounded as if we could use SVG tiny without loss of
>quality?

Yes, it actually did but only in the context of mobile devices. Moreover,
quality is one thing and features is another.

What I tried to answer with my first post is the following question:

If we use SVG Tiny to display an OSM map to a mobile phone, will the quality
be the same (or almost the same)?

IMHO the answer is still yes. However, I suppose that the extra features of
SVG Full should not be sacrificed just to produce maps which are compatible
with mobile devices as well.

Correct me if I am wrong but it just hit me that some are considering the
option of totally changing osmarender in order to produce SVGTiny-only maps.
Is SVG-FULL under negotiation?? It didn't even cross my mind!

If this is true, my old post might have mislead some of you for which I am
sorry.

George