[OSM-dev] Very long ways have been split (was: Status of Database Server after 0.4 Upgrade: Fragile)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun May 13 19:55:32 BST 2007

Hi,

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I will immediately begin to (automatically) split up all ways that have
> more than 500 segments.

Ways with more than 500 segments should now be gone, and replaced by a
sequence of 300-segment long smaller ways with identical tag set (plus a
"note" tag saying that the way was split automatically).

Please bear in mind that very long ways can still be created, and may
perhaps still be returned from history queries.

Due to a minor glitch in my update run, I might have missed a few and
accidentally uploaded some twice, but I have detailed logs and will
check and fix these problems.

About 250 ways were affected altogether, mostly coastlines:

     121     <tag k="natural" v="coastline"/>
      26     <tag k="highway" v="primary"/>
      26     <tag k="highway" v="motorway"/>
      19     <tag k="natural" v="water"/>
      12     <tag k="highway" v="trunk"/>
      11     <tag k="highway" v="secondary"/>
       6     <tag k="highway" v="unclassified"/>
       1     <tag k="highway" v="horse"/>
       1     <tag k="highway" v="cycleway"/>

Few of the affected ways had names, but here's a list of the names seen:

20
A-6
A84
AUTOROUTE CASA SETTAT
Ameland
Amper
Amrum
Autovía del Cantábrico
Balaton
Bodensee
Borkum
CA 1
Crowsnest Highway
Donau
E4
Föhr
Ghost Dam
Hazelborough Forest
Highway 19
Highway 2
Highway 43
Inya Lake
Juist
Killarney Road
Kos
Køge Ã

La Galaure
Lago Maggiore
Lake Burley Griffin
Landkreis Dachau
Marine Drive Highway 7
N-621
N-623
N1
N8
Norderney
Odra
Peenestrom
Pserimos
RM-NA
RV57
RV9
RV??
Rhodos
Riksväg 50
River Ouse
Rutland
Römerroute
SS42 (del Tonale e della Mendola)
Schiermonnikoog
Schlei
Siljan
Sustenstrasse
Symi
Terschelling
Texel
Tilos
Tove
Vlieland
Vänern
Whopper MTB trails
autoroute rabat tanger
downslink
n9
الطريق Ù
راكش وارزازات

I assume that a few large lakes which had a single coastline way before
will now be broken but that's going to be remedied soon by an improved
version of close-areas.pl which will be able to handle areas other than
oceans.

If anyone notices a problem, just shout.

Bye
Frederik