[OSM-dev] perl GD on Mac OS X

Tue May 15 10:11:21 BST 2007

David Earl wrote:

> Can someone who's done it give me some pointers on how to get GD included as
> a perl package on Mac OS X (Darwin).

The definitive guide used to be here
http://www.paginar.net/matias/articles/gd_x_howto.html

and that's what I used to install the relevant libraries. Sadly, that
page has now disappeared, but this seems to be a verbatim copy:
http://www.libgd.org/DOC_INSTALL_OSX

If you follow the instructions there it should be pretty painless.

> One other thing: inkscape requires X11; but to run tiles at home doesn't need a
> windowing environment. So do I really need to install X? (Please tell me
> no!)

Sadly, yes, you do need to install X11 for a bunch of Unixy stuff on
OS X. On the upside, installing X11 is just a simple double-click
operation thanks to Apple's nice prepackaged installer thing.

cheers
Richard