[OSM-dev] Set up rails on dev server -- what comes next?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 15 22:43:21 BST 2007

Hi,

>> How can I contact the rails server from a web browser? After
>> installing
>> rails_port to /var/www/nick on dev, I entered
>>
>> http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org:3000/rails_port/
>>
>> but am not getting a response from the server.
>
> port blocking from UCL

I don't know any of the dev server details, and I am probably telling
you things that you already now, but if UCL has a restrictive firewall,
and assuming you log in to dev with ssh, you can just

ssh dev.openstreetmap.org -l nick -L 3000:dev.openstreetmap.org:3000

to establish a port forwarding which enables you to point a browser at
"http://localhost:3000/ on your side (assuming ssh and browser are on
the same machine - otherwise read up on the -g command line option), and
for rails on dev it "looks like" someone is coming in on port 3000 - all
the while everything is tunneled through ssh (port 22) and thus
unaffected by the firewall. And you get encryption for free.

May GUI ssh clients also support port forwarding, but sometimes it is
hard to find.

Bye
Frederik