[OSM-dev] Potlatch

Wed May 16 10:03:36 BST 2007

Hi Nick,

> Now I have a working rails setup I should be in a position to do stuff on
> Potlatch

Sounds excellent.

> Here's what I had in mind, let me know which of these you're
> doing/have done already:
>
> * Areas e.g. woods, heaths, lakes. Probably just a rendering issue - does
> SWF do variable-opacity polygons?

I'm not doing this, but it should be dead easy:

- you need to change OSMWay.prototype.redraw
- variable opacity is dead easy, just set _alpha
- at present the colours are hard-coded into an array (line 109
onwards), in time this should be moved into the presets.txt file and
read via the AMF getpresets call

> * Specific tag selection for walkers, expanding what's already available

Again, not doing this, but dead easy - just edit presets.txt. No code
change required.

> * POIs with graphics - think you're already doing this?

Yep, I'm working on this.

> * New Popular Edition and SRTM contour backgrounds

Would be excellent. I'll mail you my old tile code later (the bit that
did Landsat before we got the Yahoo imagery) so you can play with
that. Obviously the layer selection routines are already done, too.

> * Freemap specific edition, geared for walkers, with specific tags and
> tied in to GPX upload, as mentioned yesterday.
> * Ability to re-use segments of an existing way e.g. if you draw a polygon
> denoting a field boundary, and then draw another next to it, they should
> share segments.

Should be fairly easy: segment numbers are stored in the array of
points anyway
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Potlatch/Point_array), so you
can just borrow from there.

For reference here's what I'm working on at the moment:

- removing the Ming dependency from the GPS code (almost done, yay)
- POI editing
- legacy segment conversion
- various bits of optimisation

If you've not used ActionScript before, this is your friend:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/action_scripts/actionscript_dictionary/

cheers
Richard