[OSM-dev] VMWare player image

Robert Hart bathterror at gmail.com
Wed May 16 17:33:41 BST 2007

On 16/05/07, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:

> Robert Hart wrote:
> > On 16/05/07, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Would anyone be interested in setting up and/or using a VMWare player
> >> Debian image for developing OSM with? It would need to have MySQL,
> >> Rails, PostGIS, all the T at H stuff, mapnik etc. and all their
> >> prerequisites installed and running on bootup. It would need some
> >> scripts to download the latest planet or an extract of it and insert it
> >> into a local database, and howtos.
> >
> > Wouldn't time be better spent finishing of getting OSM stuff packaged
> > properly in the first place? Even if we can't/don't want to get all
> > our stuff into Debian proper, then we can at least have our own
> > unofficial repository. I'd rather not have to download a large VM
> > image every time there's a one line change to some perl script or
> > other.
>
> You wouldn't. You'd just do an svn update in that case. This is for
> people who otherwise wouldn't have a dev server.
>
> The idea is to make it easy for developers who don't have a whole spare
> debian box to donate to the project. They might have a windows box, or a
> box that is installed with something else, (even debian), but not want
> to disturb the config of that box by installing betas of OSM things.

Yes, but most of us are happy installing stuff on our own boxes
provided that installation is not overly complex. A vmware-type
solution would be good for others as you point out, but surely the
easiest way to create that would be to take a basic debian image and
then apt-get install osm-dev (or whatever we want to call it)? no?

--
Robert Hart