[OSM-dev] Possible new API features

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu May 17 15:49:26 BST 2007

If I have the time (and with work on potlatch/freemap planned, this is
something of an 'if', more likely to be later in the summer than May/June)
I'd like to add two features to the API that I personally have always
wanted. ( thanks to the rails port things like this are now much
easier...)

* Throw a load of lat/longs at the server and have the server construct
nodes, segments and ways automatically, using existing nodes and segments
if within a pre-defined distance.

* Add an option to the "create new node" API  call which only creates the
node if one isn't already there (within a given distance).

These 2 features will make it much easier to create new types of
lightweight editor (i.e. user can just click on a static map to create a
feature without having to download any OSM data first).

Do these sound good?
Would they have to wait until an 0.5 API to actually be implemented, or,
could they be added as new calls while we're still on 0.4 (e.g. 0.4.1?)

Nick