[OSM-dev] Server required for tiles at home (was: MySQL on dev)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 17 23:31:22 BST 2007

Hi,

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> As a mapper without a developer account, I'm very dependent on
> having a working tiles at home server.  Currently, the "dev" server
> is used for t at h and I think it would be a good idea to move this
> subproject out to its own server.

I second this proposal.

There have been a number of postings in the last few months where people
wrote that they have, or might have, some kind of server available for
use by OSM, and asked if one is needed at all.

I'd say, yes, we desperately need a server; dev is obviously unable to
cope with tiles at home. A new hard disk has recently been installed but
the machine is still in "iowait" state most of the time, and unavailable
or unresponsive when you need it:

http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/dev.openstreetmap.html

There is of course potential for optimisation, but that alone probably
won't cut it.

However, I'm afraid that any run-off-the-mill UML linux box will not do.
The current specs for dev are (as per munin graphs and "Servers" wiki page):

1 GB RAM
2.8 GHz P4 processor
about 400 GB of hard disk space (?), a considerable portion of which is
created as Reiser FS

The network connection, according to Munin, averges 800kBit/second,
which if I am not completely mistaken means that the monthly traffic is
in the region of 250 gigabytes. Network i/o surpasses 8 MBit/second many
times a day, making me assume that the Internet pipe is rather fat
(peaks of up to 27 Mbit/second are observed but these may be traffic to
other OSM machines in the same LAN?).

And these values, remember, are what is INSUFFICIENT. We will most
likely need a machine with a very fast hard disk (or potentially a
striped RAID setup for better speed), and at least 2 Gigabytes of RAM.
Any kind of virtualisation (Xen, UML, ...) will most likely ruin everything.

If anyone is able to provide a machine that surpasses these
specifications (what we probably need least is processor power - nothing
is computed for tiles at home, it's only shifting bytes around), then I am
willing to help set up the tiles at home server environment on it and test
whether it is "up to scratch" for the task.

All that said - another option would be to share the workload that dev
currently suffers under between a number of machines. But I'll make an
extra post for that on the tiles at home list.

Bye
Frederik