[OSM-dev] Update of openstreetmap-setup-0.0.5.exe please

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 18:41:59 BST 2007

Hi,
On 20 May 2007, at 15:45, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Shaun McDonald wrote:
>> I would like to get the menu bar sorted out at some point so that
>> we can use the Mac OS X system wide menu bar. I do not know why it
>> is that the help menu is on the right hand side of the menu bar.
> That's the design of the "older" Unix X windows (Motif?).
>
> When I remember correct, all modern GUI systems I know of (Win32,
> KDE, GNOME) no longer use this convention, as it's not really very
> helpful.
>
> I don't know why this is used by JOSM, maybe because Immi (the
> original author) likes it this way or it doesn't matter to him.
>
> BTW: I would like that to be changed too, as it's looks pretty "old
> fashioned"!

It is a one line fix :-)

We just need to remove the line
add(Box.createHorizontalGlue());
from
org.openstreetmap.josm.gui.MainMenu.java

Patch available at:
http://smsm1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/osm/patches/
sortspaceinmenubar20070520.diff

http://smsm1.selfip.info/~shaunmcdonald/p/openstreetmap/Picture%2013.png
http://smsm1.selfip.info/~shaunmcdonald/p/openstreetmap/Picture%2012.png

Can be done with

$ java -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -Xmx512m -Xdock:name=JOSM -
jar josm-custom.jar

I have also created a .app, that uses the Mac OS X native menu bar.
See
<http://smsm1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/osm/JOSM/index.html> for more info.

Shaun