[OSM-dev] JOSM Plugin-Manager was: JOSM "simplify way" option

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:17:25 BST 2007

On 21 May 2007, at 09:43, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:

>> Maybe we could start by creating a machine readable list of plugins
>> (in the Wiki?), adding a "getVersion" call to the plugin interface
>> and displaying a list to the user (plugin so-and-so, installed
>> version so-and-so, latest version so-and-so). And do automatic
>> downloading etc. later.
>
> Sorry to bring up this suggestion again: If we put the plugins into
> SVN with
> there jar Files it would be one URL where the plugin locator can
> find all
> plugins.
> Yes I know svn is normally a source repository, but we don't have
> any other
> common place in the OSM project where every developer can write,
> every user
> can download and we have a versioning.
> So I would really really vote for one sub-directory in the osm-svn
> and place
> all plugins there.

-1 for putting binary plugins into svn. A better location should be
found, rather than putting strain on the SVN server. I'm thinking
about the space requirements, as they will probably take up a lot of
space having many versions of items stored there. I don't know what
the processing demand would be like. A dedicated download network
would be better. How about WebDAV on another server?

I also don't like the idea as it would mean that I would have all the
plugins whether I like it or not if I just do a svn update every now
and again. Having only the plugins I need or use installed can
improve performance.

+1 for putting a meta file about what plugins are available and where
they are located.

Shaun