[OSM-dev] java selfupdate

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:50:52 BST 2007

On 5/22/07, Robert T Wyatt <robert.wyatt at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Dear OSM gurus,
>
> A programming request (should I find a tracker to submit this to?):
>
> I would be very happy if josm-latest.jar could update itself with a
> "check for updates" or, better still, auto-update function.

Check for updates may be doable, but auto-update nearly impossible,
given JOSM has no idea how it has been installed or being run.

> I think it was recently mentioned that a plug-in updater would be nice
> and I would like to see that also, but a self-updating JOSM would be
> very nice.

I'm not a great fan of self-updating things, but a message that pops
up saying "your version of JOSM is >1 month old, consider upgrading"
wouldn't be too irritating.

Have a nice day,