[OSM-dev] java selfupdate

Robert T Wyatt robert.wyatt at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 22 18:00:36 BST 2007

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Robert T Wyatt <robert.wyatt at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>> Dear OSM gurus,
>>
>> A programming request (should I find a tracker to submit this to?):
>>
>> I would be very happy if josm-latest.jar could update itself with a
>> "check for updates" or, better still, auto-update function.
>
> Check for updates may be doable, but auto-update nearly impossible,
> given JOSM has no idea how it has been installed or being run.
>
>> I think it was recently mentioned that a plug-in updater would be nice
>> and I would like to see that also, but a self-updating JOSM would be
>> very nice.
>
> I'm not a great fan of self-updating things, but a message that pops
> up saying "your version of JOSM is >1 month old, consider upgrading"
> wouldn't be too irritating.
>
> Have a nice day,

Thank you for thinking about it! What about having it download the
update to a directory of the user's choosing? It may be a problem
given that the new file may try to overwrite the open, existing file
if it is in the same directory--I guess that would essentially be a
self-update.

Or "your version of JOSM is >1 month old, get the new version here"?

Best,
Robert