[OSM-dev] I'm Looking for josm reading NMEA Files

Shaun McDonald shaunmcdonald131 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:59:40 BST 2007

Hi Joerg,
On 23 May 2007, at 07:45, Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) wrote:

> I do have some Windows users which are really busy like a bee
> collecting new
> tracks. And since the new Windows installer for josm works nicely
> again. I'm
> now trying to convince my Windows users to try to use josm
> themselves. But
> for this I'd need a possibility for them to directly import there
> Tracks(from
> the NaviGPS-BGT11) into josm.

Are the users uploading the tracks?

If so they would need to be in gpx format.
Can a version of
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:NMEA>
be made into a windows batch script?

> So I'm looking for a possibility to read tracklogs in NMEA format
> directly
> from josm. Did anyone already start something like this for josm?
> I don't know if there already exists a java module for this, but if
> not the
> Basic NMEA parsing itself should not be too difficult.
> Just look for one of the interesting lines:
> $GGA,hhmmss.ss,llll.ll,a,yyyyy.yy,a,x,xx,x.x,x.x,M,x.x,M,x.x,xxxx*hh<C
> R><LF>
> $RMC,hhmmss.ss,A,llll.ll,a,yyyyy.yy,a,x.x,x.x,xxxx,x.x,a*hh<CR><LF>
> where
> 	hhmmss.ss = Universal Time Coordinated (UTC)
> 	llll.ll   = Latitude
> 	yyyyy.yy  = Longitude
> 	a         = N or S (North or South)
> 	            E or W (East or West)
> 	hh        = Checksum
> and Latitude/Longitude is calculated by splitting LLll.ll and simply
> multiplying and adding:
> 	Latitude = LL + ( ll.ll * 60 )
> 	Longitude = YY + ( yy.yy * 60 )

I believe  that there is already a ticket for this in trac.

<http://josm.eigenheimstrasse.de/ticket/27> is something similar, but
not quite the same as it is looking for live NMEA import.

Please add your information in a new ticket, so that it doesn't get
lost.

Shaun