[OSM-dev] Availability of slippy map during LinuxTag 2007

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed May 30 22:48:49 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 18:42 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 30 May 2007, at 12:18, Jon Burgess wrote:
>
> > I've been collecting some simple stats from the access blocks over the
> > past week. We typically serve around 1M tiles per day to a couple of
> > thousand different IPs with only 1 - 10 people hitting the 10k limit
> > on any day.
>
> Does this take into account ISPs that force all http traffic though
> one or two 'transparent' proxies?
>
> Virgin/NTL/Telewest for example do this - http://
> homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html provides
> a comprehensive list.
> --

No, there is nothing done to take account of these transparent proxies.
There is a simple count of tiles served per IP address. If another user
of the proxy exhausts the tile limit then you are SOL. If and when we
get a white listing system in place this could help.

Thanks for the pointer to the info.

	Jon