[OSM-dev] What do we do with tags with empty keys or values?

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Thu May 31 08:29:28 BST 2007

> Hakan Tandogan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Todays planet.osm contains 1700 objects with empty tag names (446 with
>> tag
>> k="" and 1239 with tag k=" ").
>>
>> There are far more empty values, though, grepping for v="" gives me
>> 67109
>> hits.
>>
>> What should we do with those tags? Is there any use for them or could
>> they
>> be safely removed? If so, would it be better to remove them via the API
>> or
>> directly via SQL access to the database?
>
> I don't see how empty tags could be of any value and I would say kill
> them. However, I don't know which way would be the easiest. MySQL
> probably, but that would also be the most difficult to get access to :-).

I thought about a script that would fetch those objects, remove the empty
tags and write them back via the API, but some of them result repeatedly
in the error 500...

If no one objects, I'll start fixing those that I can fetch this weekend.

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...