[OSM-dev] running a local server

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Nov 2 15:14:08 GMT 2007

Hi,

>  - t at h uses way more resources to render, and is much slower. You
> couldn't realistically use osmarender to produce real-time rendering
> of tiles, but mapnik is fast enough to do this, and requires much less
> memory to run.

To give some numbers: I used to run a nightly re-render of the whole
Karlsruhe area (5 by 5 level-12 tiles, for a total of 34125 tiles),
rendering one normal and one mapnik layer, on a reasonably up-to-date
dual-core Athlon with 2 GB RAM (but I did not run anything in
parallel). The job usually started around 4:00 MET at night and
finished at 8:30 MET; that includes the time used for downloading the
data from the API.

Bye
Frederik