[OSM-dev] running a local server

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 18:15:00 GMT 2007

On Thursday 01 November 2007 20:02:26 graham wrote:
>  But I'm also thinking I might like to try working with adding
> layers at some point, so it seems like a good idea to try running my own
> server. But I can't work out if there's a standard/recommended way to do
> that that works with the current data format. Can anyone point me to the
> best wiki page/mail thread/svn directory for some guidance?

It's "just a bunch of files" -- there's a description of them at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Slippy_map_tilenames

though you probably don't need to know any of that to host them, a simple
directory of zoom/x/y.png images will do fine.

For more reference, we have some notes on the tiles at home server (like:
choosing a filesystem, using mod-rewrite to reorganise your directories,
returning specific images for "not found")

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tiles%40home/Dev/Website

Regards,

OJW