[OSM-dev] GPL stupidity

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Fri Nov 9 12:00:52 GMT 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> To those of you who regularly prepend their software contributions to
> OSM with the sentence:
>
> "You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
> Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
> 02110-1301, USA."
>
> - have you thought of what you're writing there? If someone downloads
> source code from our SVN, in what way "should" they "have received" a
> copy of the GPL,

It should be in the root directory of SVN. That's the normal practice in
other projects - the standard filename is "COPYING". If it's not, we
should fix that.

Also, a copy must be shipped with binaries. If people are distributing
binaries without one (and the other notices the GPL requires), they need
to fix that too.

Gerv