[OSM-dev] no page=? argument for searching by tag

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 13:13:37 GMT 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 12:15 PM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23/11/2007, Marcus Wolschon <marcus at wolschon.biz> wrote:
> >

> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I noticed that
> >
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.5#Searching_for_Objects_by_Tag
> > does not allow a page-attribute like the other queries.
> > How hard would it be to add that?
> >
> > This renders this call useless for
> > * fetching the motorway-network or
> > * fetching all country-borders.
> >
> > I think this would be a good and simple addition and make
> > the protcoll more consistent. What does everyone else think?
> >

> I think we have to ask what the main API is for?
> It's currently optimised for the purposes of editing the data... you
> download for an area, you query specific nodes/ways etc and you upload
> revisions of those. You can also access the history of objects, but
> not in a very easy way at present.
>
> It's not great for rendering (doesn't return polygons which completely
> surround the bbox for instance), and it's not great for tag based
> querying. Adding these features may seriously compromise the speed of
> the system, and in some cases make editing harder.
>
> If it's OK to have data which may be a couple of days old (from what
> you're trying to do I'd say it probably was OK) then you might want to
> take a look at Osmxapi. I think it's probably much better suited to
> the type of thing you're trying to do.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmxapi

Actually Osmxapi is now using the daily planet diffs and so will normally be
no more than 24 hours old.

Right now we are in transition to a new much faster server.  Because of this
the database is lagging a couple of days behind at the moment, but it is
catching up quickly and should be fully up-to-date within a few hours.

80n