[OSM-dev] Software development - most pressing issues

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Nov 29 17:22:18 GMT 2007

In message <474EEF6E.9010005 at arjam.net>
          "Robert (Jamie) Munro" <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:

> Rob wrote:
> > i have made a prototype notes system with help of crschmidt on
> > http://burghthof.nl/osm/ and it is supported by the symbian WhereAmI
> > application (http://www.symbianos.org/projects/47)
> > however it's not in ruby
>
> I think that notes like this should just be stored as normal tags on
> nodes/ways as k=note, v=[whatever]. That way all existing editing
> infrastructure can pick them up easily - you can load them into JOSM or
> potlatch, you can search for them with the zappy api etc.

Absolutely not. As Richard says we need to keep these separate as
notes for surveyors because they need to be checked on the ground
before being put in the main data set for copyright reasons.

It also raises the barrier to entry, and makes some kind of ticket
impossible - you can't add a ticket saying "there is a road called
Foo St here" if there is no road there yet and the ticket has to
go on an object!

The model we came up with before was to have a separate table that
recorded tickets against lat/lon. A ticket could be added by clicking
on the map and entering a brief description, and an (optional?) email
address in case somebody wants to ask the reporter for more info.

Downloading data in josm or Potlach could then include any open
tickets for the area. Likewise we could offer RSS feeds etc of
tickets in areas which local surveyors could subscribe to.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/