[OSM-dev] Software development - most pressing issues

Robert (Jamie) Munro rjmunro at arjam.net
Thu Nov 29 18:25:24 GMT 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <474EEF6E.9010005 at arjam.net>
>           "Robert (Jamie) Munro" <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:
>
>> Rob wrote:
>>> i have made a prototype notes system with help of crschmidt on
>>> http://burghthof.nl/osm/ and it is supported by the symbian WhereAmI
>>> application (http://www.symbianos.org/projects/47)
>>> however it's not in ruby
>> I think that notes like this should just be stored as normal tags on
>> nodes/ways as k=note, v=[whatever]. That way all existing editing
>> infrastructure can pick them up easily - you can load them into JOSM or
>> potlatch, you can search for them with the zappy api etc.
>
> Absolutely not. As Richard says we need to keep these separate as
> notes for surveyors because they need to be checked on the ground
> before being put in the main data set for copyright reasons.

I don't know what you mean by this. If people putting copyright
information into these notes is a problem, why does it matter where they
are stored? What's the difference between a table called notes that has
lat,lon,text and a table called nodes with lat,lon joined to a table
with nodeid,text (or however it's implemented).

> It also raises the barrier to entry, and makes some kind of ticket
> impossible - you can't add a ticket saying "there is a road called
> Foo St here" if there is no road there yet and the ticket has to
> go on an object!

In that case it could just add a node with only a note tag.

> The model we came up with before was to have a separate table that
> recorded tickets against lat/lon. A ticket could be added by clicking
> on the map and entering a brief description, and an (optional?) email
> address in case somebody wants to ask the reporter for more info.

In that case, I'd suggest a node with 2 keys. "user_note" and
"user_note_email".

> Downloading data in josm or Potlach could then include any open
> tickets for the area. Likewise we could offer RSS feeds etc of
> tickets in areas which local surveyors could subscribe to.

But with my scheme, downloading data in josm or Potlatch or WhereAmI or
any other editor would happen automatically with no extra coding. RSS
feeds would be nice, and these could be implimented externally using the
hourly osmosis dumps, along with RSS feeds for any other data people are
interested in.

Robert (Jamie) Munro