[OSM-dev] gazetteer.openstreetmap.org for name finder?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Oct 2 01:02:55 BST 2007

In message <47014698.9000008 at frankieandshadow.com>
          David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> I need to do some work on Name Finder for the 0.5 API, and I thought I'd
> try to do a few other things at the same time, like rewriting it to
> work incrementally on the planet diff and/or do some in C++ (I was going
> to redo it in rails, but since it is now unmanageably slow to create the
> index in PHP given the size of the planet file, rails is unlikely to be
> any better). (Searches have slowed down a little, but it is the index
> creation which is desperately in need of work).

Index creation as a separate program in whatever language you like
is fine by me, but would it still be feasible to use rails for the
searching do you think?

> And most to the point, to support that and regularise the whole thing,
> I'd like to put it on an OSM server.

I kind of had in mind that once we some of the new servers we are
hoping to get one of the existing servers might wind up holding
what you might call "auxilliary" databases like the namefinder that
are generated from the main database at intervals.

> I wonder if we could have a new subdomain (say
> gazetteer.openstreetmap.org) which I could have ssh access to, and a
> mySQL database to start doing all this? Who should I liaise with about
> this? Is the PHP module running in to our web server (IIRC it's not
> Apache, is it?)?

Which web server - we have lots ;-)

This isn't really the best time, but we could probably arrange something
temporary for you to do development work. Probably a login on dev and
then we'd have to find some MySQL space somewhere. Apache on dev does
have PHP but would you still need it anyway?

My ideal final result would be to have it as a fully integrated part
of the main site and the main API as well. We might also have something
like gazeteer.osm.org providing a shortcut to it of course.

I'm the person you need to liase with anyway, at least in the first
instance while we work out exactly what we're going to do.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/