[OSM-dev] gazetteer.openstreetmap.org for name finder?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Oct 2 12:06:03 BST 2007

On 02/10/2007 01:02, Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <47014698.9000008 at frankieandshadow.com>
>           David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>
>> I need to do some work on Name Finder for the 0.5 API, and I thought I'd
>> try to do a few other things at the same time, like rewriting it to
>> work incrementally on the planet diff and/or do some in C++ (I was going
>> to redo it in rails, but since it is now unmanageably slow to create the
>> index in PHP given the size of the planet file, rails is unlikely to be
>> any better). (Searches have slowed down a little, but it is the index
>> creation which is desperately in need of work).
>
> Index creation as a separate program in whatever language you like
> is fine by me, but would it still be feasible to use rails for the
> searching do you think?

The problem about that is that about 70% of the the index creation code
is shared by the searching.

>> And most to the point, to support that and regularise the whole thing,
>> I'd like to put it on an OSM server.
>
> I kind of had in mind that once we some of the new servers we are
> hoping to get one of the existing servers might wind up holding
> what you might call "auxilliary" databases like the namefinder that
> are generated from the main database at intervals.
>
>> I wonder if we could have a new subdomain (say
>> gazetteer.openstreetmap.org) which I could have ssh access to, and a
>> mySQL database to start doing all this? Who should I liaise with about
>> this? Is the PHP module running in to our web server (IIRC it's not
>> Apache, is it?)?
>
> Which web server - we have lots ;-)

Doesn't matter AFAIAC.

> This isn't really the best time, but we could probably arrange something
> temporary for you to do development work.

No particular hurry - I can continue on my server for the moment, and it
will be a while before I get web pages which need to go on an osm server
for Google purposes, which is what it will _need_ to move for (the
current searching could continue to be elsewhere for that matter, though
it makes sense to be in one place I think)

> Probably a login on dev and
> then we'd have to find some MySQL space somewhere. Apache on dev does
> have PHP but would you still need it anyway?

Possibly not.

> My ideal final result would be to have it as a fully integrated part
> of the main site and the main API as well. We might also have something
> like gazeteer.osm.org providing a shortcut to it of course.

Thomas Walraet made a good point about using www.openstreetmap.org,
rather than a separate subdomain, because of the ranking.

> I'm the person you need to liase with anyway, at least in the first
> instance while we work out exactly what we're going to do.

OK.

David